8.3.12

March 2, 2012


Opening Hymns:
Change My Heart, O God (Red Praise Book 50)

Scripture Reading:
Mark 8:34-38

Message: Priorities
This scripture makes me ask myself “what is really important to me?” Is there anything that I would exchange for my soul… or am I putting God first? Sadly, there are times when I do not place my priorities correctly. I might focus my time and energy on things that do not give glory to God. It is good to unwind from work; however, I’ve noticed that more and more time goes into “unwinding” and less and less time is spent with God.

This scripture reading calls us to refocus on the most important things. Not only does Jesus request that we make God the priority in our lives, but He asks us to “Take up our Cross”. We are to face struggles and challenges right along with Jesus. With our busy lives we may question “where will I find the energy?”

Surprisingly, when I wind down by watching TV or playing video games… I don’t feel nearly as calmed down or fulfilled as when I read scripture or a meaningful book. When I spend my days of lounging around the house I don’t feel nearly as fired up as I do when I go out and volunteer somewhere. Relaxation is a good thing. However, when relaxing time is significantly effecting time with God we all need to re-focus our lives and remember Jesus’ words: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it” (Mark 8:34-35)

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of your Son Jesus, and His words of guidance. Please, let me put You first as I go throughout my life. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
Create In Me a Clean Heart (Red Praise Book 39)
As The Deer (Red Praise Book 28)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God


No comments:

Post a Comment