22.3.16

Our Thoughts Create Our Actions



March 22, 2016
Opening Hymns:
103 Immortal Invisible God Only Wise http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh103.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 71:1-14
71:1 In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.

71:2 In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me.

71:3 Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

71:4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel.

71:5 For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O LORD, from my youth.

71:6 Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you.

71:7 I have been like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.

71:8 My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all day long.

71:9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength is spent.

71:10 For my enemies speak concerning me, and those who watch for my life consult together.

71:11 They say, "Pursue and seize that person whom God has forsaken, for there is no one to deliver."

71:12 O God, do not be far from me; O my God, make haste to help me!

71:13 Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace.

71:14 But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more.

Message:
Who do you call on for strength? Where do you turn when your life gives you overwhelming challenges? The psalmist in this scripture relies on the Lord during his challenges. Through his determination to follow the Lord, we can see the strength that he finds. We can see the joy that is in his heart as he continually praises the Lord.

It is amazing to me how the thoughts in our minds can affect how are day will go. Some mornings I wake up with energy (regardless of how much sleep I’ve had), and I think “bring it on day! I can face whatever you throw at me!” The day and all of the challenges are then met with energy and confidence. However, some days I feel beaten down by the obstacles, and seem to call out to the Lord for help. I feel helpless in controlling how each day will go, but I know that each little thought in my head can play a part.

What are you focusing on? What do you catch yourself thinking of? Sometimes I focus on my own

failures of my past. When I negatively put myself down in my head it is no wonder that my attitude and energy reflect that. If I instead focus on the needs of others that need to be met each day, and draw strength from the Lord…. My energy changes. I become stronger and more confident. I can work harder and more efficiently because it is no longer about my own failings, and how I should do better. Instead it is about the people that surround me and the work that God has called me to do.


We can see the Psalmists devotion in the Lord reflected in the words that he is writing. What do your actions and attitudes say about what is in your mind and heart?

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, wash away our sins, and help us focus on Your love, and the service that You have called us to do. Let us meet each day with an energy that says “I can”, let us meet each person with a smile that says “you are loved, you matter, you are forgiven.” Let our hearts and our actions reflect You. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
138 The King of Love My Shepherd is http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh138.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment