17.3.16

Don't Hide Your Light



March 16, 2016
Opening Hymns:
480 Oh Love that Wilt Not Let Me Go http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh480.sht

Scripture Reading:
Matthew 5:13-16
13“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Message:
This scripture was read at the Lenten service tonight. I couldn’t help being reminded of the night I had spent with friends only the day before. My friend is starting a new business. She loves Disney, and so she is starting a princess group to go around reading books and throwing parties for young children. She asked me if I would be a part of it.

I had and have great hesitations… fears of not being good enough, not being able to answer questions that kids might have like “when is your birthday”,  or asking me dressed as Belle “could you speak some French for us?” Through her encouragement I’ve made Disney princess costumes, and I’ve done some volunteering as various Disney characters. I’m currently working on an Olaf costume. It is going to be designed like mascot costumes are and I will be completely hidden…. I won’t have to say anything!

I told her that I would love to be a part of the group as Olaf because I wouldn’t have to worry about all the questions… I would be hidden. I wouldn’t have to answer questions that go into detail about Elsa’s magic, or “why aren’t you actually made of snow”, or “are you the real Olaf”…. Because it would be a silent role. I wouldn’t have to fret about getting out of character. She encouraged me, stating that I was a wonderful Alice, and would be great in the princess roles too.

When Olaf is complete he may bring joy to a lot of kiddos out there… but with my Belle, Alice, and Cinderella costumes I have a better chance of interacting with the kids. Certainly there are more opportunities to mess up, or find yourself in the midst of difficult questions, but we can smile at kids, ask them how they are, listen and respond to questions, see their eyes light up. I won’t be able to interact nearly as well with Olaf.

The scripture reading for today reminded me that sometimes it is worth the risk if you want to make a difference. Our skills and talents were not meant to be hidden, they were meant to be shared! We were given each of our gifts for a reason, and it is time that we bravely go forth sharing our gifts with the world.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, give us the strength and bravery to share the gifts that You have given us with those around us. Help us always to remember and love You with all our hearts. Let us not keep the love that You have given us hidden from the world, but let us show that love to everyone we meet. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
672 God be with You Till We Meet Again http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh672.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment