12.3.16

Judge Not



March 12, 2016
Opening Hymns:
73 Oh Worship the King http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh073.sht

Scripture Reading:
John 12:1-8
12:1 Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead.

12:2 There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him.

12:3 Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

12:4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said,

12:5 "Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?"

12:6 (He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.)

12:7 Jesus said, "Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial.

12:8 You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me."


Message:
There are times when I read scriptures, and I find that I relate to people, and I wish that I didn’t. As I read this scripture I can relate to Judas. I can’t imagine ever stealing money from anyone, but I know that I’ve had times in my life where I try to make my actions seem more noble or righteous than they actually are.

In our reading Judas is in charge of the finances… however, we are told that he has been stealing the money. He tries to make his desire for more money sound like his desire to help the poor and needy. Even if his actions were noble, Jesus reminds him that Mary’s gift was important for Him. It is not right to judge!

As humans it can be easy for us to judge others, and it can be hard not to tell and see our past from our own point of view. If someone’s actions hurt us we may exaggerate how unkind they were and our own innocence. Sometimes we may not even know that we are doing it. Our own memories play tricks in our favor, and soon it is very clear who was right and who was wrong.

However, Jesus calls us to leave set our judgments aside. After all, we are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves. Though others may say or do things that hurt, we need to remember that we aren’t perfect either. Sometimes our own actions may cause others pain as well. We should forgive as we would want others to forgive us as well.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, help us learn not to judge others. Give us the strength to forgive others as You have forgiven us. Let us also learn to accept forgiveness for our own sins. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
395 Take Time to Be Holy http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh395.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment