19.3.16

Forgiveness



March 19, 2016
Opening Hymns:
550 Christ, From Whom all Blessings Flow http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh550.sht

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 50:4-9a
50:4 The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught.

50:5 The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward.

50:6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting.

50:7 The Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame;

50:8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me.

50:9a It is the Lord GOD who helps me; who will declare me guilty?

Message:
One of the strongest people I’ve met is my friend Jessica. She has had a hard life. She was born legally blind and her father was in the military so they had to move a lot throughout her childhood. She had to watch her parents get divorced when she was in high school. But though life was hard she always has endured.

She is a very strong Christian, and has always relied on the Lord to lead her through each challenge she has faced. I’ve seen her become stronger and stronger through her trust in the Lord. She trusts that God will provide for her, and has the desire to share how great God is with others. She is going through seminary school right now. Though it is hard, she is trusting that God will lead her through.

She knows how to stand up for herself and is good at teaching others when they do something wrong, but she is always quick to forgive anyone that wrongs her. I’ve never seen her hold anything against anyone. Forgiveness seems to start right as the action is taking place. For example, she was undergoing a surgery, and needed to be intubated for it. Towards the end of the surgery the turned the oxygen off as she was beginning to come to, but they didn’t take the tube out yet. She knew that she couldn’t breathe or move! Yet her thought was, “oh, they’ll notice because of the oxygen monitor on my finger.” She didn’t even get angry or upset at them in the midst of their mistake! I can’t imagine what my reaction would have been, but I know that it wouldn’t have been as calm or understanding.

This scripture makes me think of Jessica because of her willingness to forgive, and her eagerness to study God’s word and to be in God’s presence. She truly believes that all things are possible with God. She is facing her challenges with bravery and endurance, knowing that God is her strength and that He will lead her through each trial.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, teach us how to forgive as You forgive. Let us find our strength in You every day of our life. Lord I know that in You no challenge is too great. Guide us down Your path that we each may fulfill Your will and make this world a better and more beautiful place. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
142 If Thou But Suffer God to Guide Thee http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh142.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment