18.3.16

Humble



March 18, 2016
Opening Hymns:
467 Trust and Obey http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh467.sht

Scripture Reading:
Philippians 2:5-11
2:5 Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus,

2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited,

2:7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form,

2:8 he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death-- even death on a cross.

2:9 Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name,

2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

2:11 and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Message:
There are times in our lives when we can feel that our position makes us more important than others. It might not happen often, and sometimes we might hate to admit it… but I’ve seen it happen in myself from time to time. I saw it in myself earlier this afternoon.

Today I had a hair appointment that I was so excited for. I was going to get my hair trimmed at the same place that I’m going for my wedding in May. When I called in I hadn’t really cared who I got my hair cut by, but when I learned that it was going to be Katie, the person that would do my hair for my wedding, I was even more excited. I had made the appointment over a week in advance, and even got a call from the hair place yesterday confirming that I would have my hair cut at 1pm with Katie.

Something came up, and Katie wasn’t able to do my hair when I got to my appointment. She was working on someone else’s hair. I felt pushed aside. Most of my disappointment came from the fact that I was going to get married soon, and how could that other person be more important than ME? A wedding is kind of a big deal, shouldn’t I be the priority? They were very kind about everything, it had just so happened that a person’s hair dyeing appointment went longer than expected, but I didn’t like the way I made myself feel.

When we decided that we are more important than others, or deserve more, it can have a negative impact on ourselves as well as those around us. Just because we got a job promotion, it’s our birthday, it’s our wedding… it doesn’t mean that other people stop mattering. Everyone around us is also precious and loved in God’s sight. Who are we to put ourselves above anyone?

Jesus is blameless. He is the Son of God, and yet instead of demanding the glory that He deserved, He humbled Himself for our sake. He lived a life in servitude, and show us how to live. He showed us how to love and care for one another. He gave us the greatest gift of love through His death on the cross, that we too might be saved and washed clean from all our sins.

Life is not always fair, but I have seen so much joy come out of sharing our important days with those around us. My friends have often thrown celebrations on their birthday, sharing the joy of being alive with the ones they love most. One of my dearest friend threw a wedding where she could bring magic to everyone who came, so their dreams could come true too. When we share our joys and sorrows with those that surround us our world can feel much more whole.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You so much for all the people that You have created in this world. Let me remember how important each of Your children are. May I remember to share each joy and celebration with those around me. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
566 Blest Be the Dear Uniting Love http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh566.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment