19.3.15

Trust

March 19, 2015
Opening Hymns:
462 Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh462.sht


Scripture Reading:
Psalm 51:1-12

51:1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.

51:2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

51:3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.

51:4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are justified in your sentence and blameless when you pass judgment.

51:5 Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me.

51:6 You desire truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.

51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

51:8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.

51:9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.

51:11 Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.

51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.


Message:
The future is an unknown and scary place. Sometimes our past, filled with all our mistakes and trials, isn’t any place we’d want to visit either. As I child I was both excited for the future, and terrified. There was so much I was going to be able to do. I was going to be able to help so many people! Even the thought of having my own job, family, and home was beyond my comprehension. Though excited I let fear and doubt have more power than the hope and joy.

In high school I decided to lay down some laws for my future self. I knew that I would grow and change over time, and I didn’t trust that “grown up Dawn” would stay on the straight and narrow path. I made a promise to God that I wouldn’t drink alcohol. I had seen alcohol make a fool of too many people too often, and I didn’t trust that I would be responsible enough as an adult to avoid falling into that trap. I also made a promise ensuring that my mother would approve of my boyfriend before I would ever get married. I was not confident in my own ability to choose someone who I would want to spend the rest of my life with.

As I look back on those promises now, I wish that I had put more trust in myself and God. Jesus even warns us about making promises:

“You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the LORD.’ But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.” – Matthew 5:33-37

  As I read this Psalm I can tell that the psalmist has great faith. He pleads for forgiveness for the sins of his past, and asks God to cleanse him from those sins, and to sustain him with a willing spirit. The psalmist leaves this scripture for us so we too can pray to God for forgiveness and the willingness to follow Him. In praying we can surly trust God to answer our prayers! We can also trust and hope that we will continue to seek God through all the trials that await us.

Time of Prayer
Dear heavenly Father, forgive us when we sin. Cleanse our hearts, and make us whiter than snow. Lead us to follow You all of our days. Let our hearts and minds never stray. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
407 Close to Thee
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh407.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment