28.3.15

Imagination

March 28, 2015
Opening Hymns:
400 Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh400.sht

Scripture Reading:
John 12:12-16
12:12 The next day the great crowd that had come to the festival heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem.

12:13 So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord-- the King of Israel!"

12:14 Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it; as it is written:

12:15 "Do not be afraid, daughter of Zion. Look, your king is coming, sitting on a donkey's colt!"

12:16 His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things had been written of him and had been done to him.



Message:
Sometimes my imaginations fails to truly depict what’s going on in stories. I love reading fantasy books, and find myself journeying to small towns, farms, and villages on an adventure in my head. But I often find the journey is intended to be much bigger than I make it. Books will speak of struggles that the characters are going through, and the days it takes to get from one town to the next. Prior to the journey it seems like the trek would be shorter… it’s hard to imagine walking or riding horses from place to place when cars and buses take us easily from one city to the next.

Today’s scripture is hard for me to imagine as well. What did Jerusalem look like then? My imagination only brings up small numbers gathered on the street waving palm branches, no bigger than the size of my church congregation. Was it instead as big as parades that I’ve seen where people line the streets 4 or 5 rows deep? I’m sure that news head spread of Jesus’ miraculous works, and many would want to see him. Were people watching from windows, or rooftops, just to get a glimpse of Jesus?

Palm Sunday is a beautiful celebration that I would have loved to see. People shouting praises to our Lord. People honoring Jesus, and waving palms in the air, and laying palms on the ground where the donkey would ride. In this moment the scriptures had been fulfilled. Another sign that Jesus was the Son of God… our Savior.

I don’t think I could bear to be there for what would be coming in the days ahead. I wonder where the people went. Were those who had praised him afraid like the disciples? Had some of them become part of the crowd that would shout “Crucify Him”? Again, my imagination is no help. The crowd that gathered to welcome Him… no matter how large… would vanish. How? Yet, the thing that is hardest to comprehend, is that Jesus went through his suffering for all of us. Through His death we are forgiven.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, You are so miraculous that even our greatest imaginations cannot come close to showing us Your glory. Thank You for the gift of love and forgiveness that You have given to us all. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
714 I Know Whom I have Believed
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh714.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment