20.3.15

Answered Prayers

March 20, 2015
Opening Hymns:
133 Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh133.sht

Scripture Reading:
Hebrews 5:5-10

5:5 So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him, "You are my Son, today I have begotten you";

5:6 as he says also in another place, "You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek."

5:7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

5:8 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered;

5:9 and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him,

5:10 having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek


Message:
Sometimes it can feel like our prayers go unanswered. Through tragedies and loss it can seem like God’s presence isn’t anywhere to be found. I wonder if the followers of Jesus felt like that as our Savior was being crucified. They didn’t yet understand why He had to die. Many were probably shocked that it was even happening. After all, Jesus had healed so many people, and even raised Lazarus from the dead. Surly He would be able to save Himself!

When we are grief stricken it can be hard to feel God’s love and presence. I have a friend whose brother died at a young age in a car accident. She became so upset at God, and now no longer believes in Him. She can’t understand why an all-powerful God would let children die. How could God let that happen?

When I’m at my deepest low, God’s presence becomes stronger. Through tragedies I feel God sending his comfort and love to those who hurt or morn. Sometimes our prayers are not answered in the way that we want them to be. Though we are not shielded from every kind of loss, God is by our side every step of the way. None of us will go through this life without pain or sorrow. It is up to us to be there for one another. Offering comfort, love and support.

The followers of Jesus would learn of Christ’s resurrection. They would later understand that Christ died to save us all. I wonder if we will each be shown the answered prayers that we were unable to see… Like the “footprints” poem we might realize that God draws closest to us during the hardest parts of our life.
The Footprints Prayer
One night I had a dream... I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before us, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life, There was only one set of footprints. I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, You would walk with me all the way; But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, There is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why in times when I needed you the most, you should leave me. The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you, and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you.


Time of Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, draw us close to You during our times of need. Help us through each trial in life, and let us be there for others who are experiencing pain and loss. Let us offer comfort and love. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
528 Nearer My Got to Thee
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh528.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment