21.3.15

Seeking Forgiveness

March 21, 2015
Opening Hymns:
384 Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh384.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 51:1-12

51:1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.

51:2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

51:3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.

51:4 Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are justified in your sentence and blameless when you pass judgment.

51:5 Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me.

51:6 You desire truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.

51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

51:8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.

51:9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.

51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.

51:11 Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.

51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.


Message:
When you make a mistake, it can sometimes feel like the worst thing in the world. I’ve often wanted a time machine to go back and fix the mistakes that I’ve made. Mistakes can make us feel so devastated. Sometimes it’s hard to forgive ourselves, much less ask for forgiveness from God.


Today’s psalm starts out sounding like someone who has just made a huge mistake. The psalmist sounds like they are full of guilt. They know they’ve done wrong, and any punishment would be just for them. In my life I can sometimes focus on those moments of grief without moving on to the end of the Psalm… I focus on my wrong doing, and my guilt. It can be so hard to let that go.

However, there is good news. The psalm goes on, and we hear the psalmist ask for forgiveness. They ask to be cleaned, and they also ask for a “willing spirit.” That is the next step each of us needs to take. We need to forgive ourselves enough, and humbly ask for God’s forgiveness. After that we should also seek a “willing spirit”… a spirit that will seek to avoid the same mistake again. Jesus will always offer us forgiveness. Through prayers we can also learn from our mistakes and go ahead in our lives stronger than when we stumbled.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for giving us Your forgiveness. Guide us through our lives, and help us when we struggle with sin. Comfort us, lead us to Your arms, and let us find strength in You. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
372 How Can We Sinners Know
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh372.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment