22.3.15

Confidence

March 22, 2015
Opening Hymns:
717 The Battle Hymn of the Republic http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh717.sht

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 50:4-9a

50:4 The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught.

50:5 The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward.

50:6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting.

50:7 The Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame;

50:8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me.

50:9a It is the Lord GOD who helps me; who will declare me guilty?


Message:
This scripture shows one with amazing faith. Isaiah is willing to face ridicule and taunting. He is willing to be hit, yelled at, and spit on... without losing his faith. He never stops following the Lord, just because others are scoffing. This scripture reminds me a lot of the story of Job. Job lost everything even though he was an upright man following the ways of the Lord. He didn’t even curse God when he lost his land, his animals, and all his children instead he said “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return there; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord” (Job 1:21).


I’ve listened to many podcasts, read books, and studied different ways of self-improvement. Yet no confidence builder I’ve seen helped me have the confidence proclaimed in today’s scripture. How do they do it? How could Job go through everything he went through and still praise the Lord? Would I be able to do the same?

I am grateful that Job’s life is not my own. Hopefully none of us have to experience the kind of loss that he had to go through. Yet, when I focus on today’s scripture I’m reminded that if we follow God’s way we can prevail. He will be with us through every trial.  This scripture is the ultimate confidence builder. It reminds us that through everything we do we’re not alone. God is with us each step of the way. Though we may face suffering in this world, God will prevail in the end!

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, guide us down Your path. May we learn to follow You with all our hearts in the good times and the bad. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go  
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh480.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment