17.3.15

Purpose

March 17, 2015
Opening Hymns:
454 Open My Eyes, That I May See
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh454.sht

Scripture Reading:
John 12:20-33

12:20 Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks.

12:21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus."

12:22 Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.

12:23 Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.

12:24 Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

12:25 Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

12:26 Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honor.

12:27 "Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say--' Father, save me from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour.

12:28 Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again."

12:29 The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him."

12:30 Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine.

12:31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out.

12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

12:33 He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die.


Message:
The question that has been on my mind for the past 15 years is “what is my purpose in life?” As we go through life it becomes increasingly apparent that we are mortal. We will not be around on this world forever. So what are we meant to do with the time that we have? How are we to make a difference?

In today’s scripture Jesus compares Himself to wheat. When wheat dies its seeds bring much more new life. His death and sacrifice has brought life to all of us. Though Christ could have avoided His death on the cross, He chose to die for us, because of His great love.

Though we are mortal, through belief in Jesus we will have eternal life with our Lord. Knowing this can change how we live our life now. We can teach others of this wonderful love. We can share the gifts that God has given us with others in need. We can leave our own mark on this world. Even the small acts of kindness can make a difference.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, let us always follow You and show Your love to others. May we serve You and others with all our hearts for all our days. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
472 Near to the Heart of God
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh472.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment