17.3.13

Worrying



March 17, 2013
Opening Hymns:
397 I Need Thee Every Hour http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh397.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 118:
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.
Let Israel say:
    “His love endures forever.”
Let the house of Aaron say:
    “His love endures forever.”
Let those who fear the Lord say:
    “His love endures forever.”
When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord;
    he brought me into a spacious place.
The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?
The Lord is with me; he is my helper.
    I look in triumph on my enemies.

Message:
When I read this scripture it makes me ponder why I have spent so much of my life in worry and stress… If you take a moment and truly think about it, what is there to worry about in life?.. okay, so you could probably list hundreds of things to fret about, just like I could. We worry about ourselves and one another. We strive to ensure the safety and provision of those we love and ourselves… but most things in our life can fade away, a fire can destroy a house in a matter of hours after a family spent most of their life paying for it. If we allow them to, worries can take over our entire lives…

However, there is good news! Even though there are so many things that we COULD worry about… this scripture reminds us that worrying can be silly when God is with you. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Psalm 118:6). Think about it, compared to the power of God, what can a “mere mortal do?” Focusing on this one verse makes me question how much I have been worrying. I might not be in control of everything (thank goodness, because we all know who is in control of everything instead of me). God is with each of us, even in the midst of our worries. When we focus on God our challenges are less insurmountable, and our fears are less frightful.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, what can we be afraid of when we are with You? Let us remember Your kind loving presence that is sustained through every challenge that we face. Lord, You know the worries that plague our hearts. Give us comfort in our times of fear. Give us peace in Your presence. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
545 The Church’s One Foundation http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh545.sht

People of God, we have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer us who live, but it is Christ who lives in us. The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, keep our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment