15.3.13

What to Boast About



March 15, 2013
Opening Hymns:
When I Survey The Wondrous Cross http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/h/e/whenisur.htm

Scripture Reading:
Philippians 3:4B-14
If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


Message:
Paul had everything. He was a religious leader who upheld the law, and scorned those who went against his beliefs. He had power, and he gave it all up when he met Jesus. He went from the top of the social latter to the bottom very quickly with that decision. He learned that his works, and his family line was nothing to boast about. He was putting his pride in the wrong things. His life changed, and he began to put his focus on Christ rather than himself. He calls us to do the same thing.

What things do you brag about? What things are you proud of? At times we can allow our own accomplishments to “get to our head” and blur our vision. Pride can prevent us from seeing the most important thing... God’s deep and everlasting love for us. A love that was so deep that God gave His only Son to die for us on the cross. What could we ever do that would compare? What can we do to repay God for His love? All we can do is accept His gift given to us through grace and forgiveness. We can thank Him for His sacrifice, and recognize that it is by His grace that we are saved.

Time of Prayer
Dearest Lord, Thank you for sending Jesus Christ to show us how to live, and to die for our sins on the Cross. Forgive us when we sin, forgive us when we boast, and forgive us when we forget to focus our hearts on You. Lord of love and grace, let us follow Christ’s example, and let us put You at the center of our lives. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
286 Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded  http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh286.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment