27.2.13

Good News



February 27, 2013
Opening Hymns:
700 Abide With Me http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh700.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 63: 1-4
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
    beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
    my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
    I will lift up my hands and call on your name.

Message:
The nightly news.. Do you watch it? I don’t. “Why not?” You might ask… well, it makes me feel tired overwhelmed and sad. Depending on how many distressing stories they fit in I can find myself becoming more worried about my safety and the safety of others. Sometimes it can be so tragic seeing all the sad things that are taking place in the world. It reminds me that there are sorrows in the world beyond what I readily see. Sometimes the news is stressful enough to bring me to a “desert place”

God offers us peace and hope when we reach that state of mind. Whether we are brought there by seeing the misery of others or by experiencing tragedy ourselves. God is with us through every sorrow and every tragedy. His strength and guidance can help us feel joy again. Like the psalmist we too can lift up our hands and praise the Lord for His mercy.

Time of Prayer
Lord thank you for bringing joy in our lives when there was once despair. Be with those who are going through their own tragedies across the world. Guide them through each one, and protect them when they are afraid. Help us all to remember that Your loving hand is with us every step of the way. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
732 Come, We that Love the Lord http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh732.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment