23.2.13

What Kind of Accent Do You Have?

February 23, 2013

Opening Hymns:
452 My Faith Looks Up to Thee http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh452.sht

Scripture Reading:
Philippians 3:17-4:1
17 Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. 18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

4 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!

Message:
What makes us who we are? What leads us to make decisions, and what causes us to act as we act? Is it current external stimuli, the genes we were born with, or how we were raised? I’m sure that each one plays a part in effecting the way we think and the actions that we make. While I’m sure that science won’t be able to quantify specifically how much each one has an impact on us, I can say with confidence that the external stimuli that we choose to take in has an impact on who we are.

I’m strongly affected by external stimuli. When I hear a sad song I often feel sad, and if I watch a movie I feel happy, sad, frightened, or angry depending on the type of movie that I’ve seen. One time I was watching a television show so much that I started to take on the facial expressions of the main character. After living up in North Dakota for so many years I’ve noticed that my accent has also changed. The people around us can affect how we feel, the way we talk… and they can even have an impact on our spiritual lives, the choices we make, and the way we live.

In the scripture lesson for today we are told to follow good examples. This makes a lot of sense to me. If we focus on the people who are following Christ well, we too are apt to follow their lead. At the same time we need to be strong and do our best to live Christly lives. That way others can follow suit. It is contagious! However, Paul warns against people who “live as enemies of the cross of Christ.”

This is where it can seem tricky. We want to love and accept everyone regardless of their sins… but we don’t want to become more like people who are living in sin. So how do we share God’s love to others without taking on an “accent” of sin? We follow Paul’s suggestion. Keep our focus on those who are leading a good example. If we read books and spend time with people that reflect God’s light then we will have a stronger Christly “accent.” If our focus is on Godly things then we won’t be easily swayed by others who might not live the way Christ would have us live. If our focus is in the right place then our “accent” won’t be swayed as we share God’s love with others.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for leading by example. Thank you for the bible which teaches us how to be like You. Transform us by Your love, and help us focus on You so that we take on Your “accent”. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
127 Guide me O Thou Great Jehovah http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh127.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment