20.2.13

Wait for the Lord



February 20, 2013
Opening Hymns:
368 My Hope is Built http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh368.sht



Scripture Reading:
Psalm 27: 7-14
Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

Message:
As I read this psalm today one thing sticks out more than all the rest. At the very end of the Psalm the psalm writer (presumed to be David) repeats “wait for the Lord.” I wonder, is he telling us to wait for
God, or is he reminding himself that he needs to wait for God to deliver him from the hard times. Perhaps it’s both.

During our storms in life it can often feel like the Lord is distant from us. It can seem that the storm is far too much for us to bear. However, the psalmist reminds us that during these times it is most important to “wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” When we wait for the Lord he will help us through every storm. Perhaps we need that extra “wait for the Lord” there so that we don’t forget… maybe it’s for when we feel like we have waited long enough, or suffered through a storm that keeps raging, this Psalm reminds us… keep waiting, keep believing, keep trusting, God will see you through.

Time of Prayer
Dearest Lord, thank you for loving us and for helping us through each and every difficult part of our lives. Guide us with your healing hand. Keep reminding us to call on Your name in times of trouble. Help us wait for You, and help us wait out all the storms of our lives. You, oh God, are stronger than every storm. Let our trust be in You. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn

384 Love Divine all Loves Excelling http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh384.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment