19.2.13

Storms of Life



February 19, 2013

Opening Hymns:

128 He Leadeth Me http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh128.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 27:1-6

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me
    to devour[a] me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.
One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.

Message:
These words can bring much needed comfort to those who are going through a hard time. Just imagine, these words were a comfort to people since before Jesus’ time and can still be a comfort today. This Psalm uses words of comfort, healing, hope, and trust. All of these things can help us through any storm that life throws at us.

I recently watched a show about the Mayflower. It was a more treacherous journey than I remembered it being (probably because I’ve only learned about it and wasn’t actually there). They were crossing the ocean for over two months and then had a long winter once they reached America. Many died through that first winter, but all of the 30 children somehow survived. Through it all the Pilgrims prayed and trusted God. Perhaps this very verse gave them comfort as they were facing their own storm. 

We all have storms, some storms can seem bigger than others. During these times we need to remember that God can be our “stronghold.” God will be with us during every storm and every obstacle just as he was with the Pilgrims. Things might not be as easy as we would have them be, but God has promised to always be there with us through each and every storm.  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you for being our strength when we are weak, our comforter when we are sad, and our shelter during the storms of life. Be with us this week as we face those storms. Hold our hand and walk beside us.  Carry us through when we can no longer walk. Help us remember Your loving presence during each and every struggle of our lives. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
110 A Mighty Fortress is Our God http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh110.sht



May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment