26.3.10

March 26, 2010

Opening Hymns:
Oh Sacred Head Now Wounded
In Cross of Christ I Glory

Scripture Reading:

Psalm 31:9-16:
9 Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
my soul and my body with grief.
10 My life is consumed by anguish
and my years by groaning;
my strength fails because of my affliction, [a]
and my bones grow weak.
11 Because of all my enemies,
I am the utter contempt of my neighbors;
I am a dread to my friends—
those who see me on the street flee from me.
12 I am forgotten by them as though I were dead;
I have become like broken pottery.
13 For I hear the slander of many;
there is terror on every side;
they conspire against me
and plot to take my life.
14 But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my God."
15 My times are in your hands;
deliver me from my enemies
and from those who pursue me.
16 Let your face shine on your servant;
save me in your unfailing love.


Message Turning night to day
I have never been in the kind of distress which the psalmist is feeling right now. I don’t know that I could describe any part of my life as “anguish.” However, as a nurse I have met many people who know exactly how the psalmist is feeling. Some are suffering with chronic illnesses or permanent injuries. Others are suffering with the loss or injury of a child. Often I’m able to see their frustrations in their eyes. When I meet people who are drowning in sorrow it is hard to know how to respond. “it will be alright,” and “I know how you must be feeling,” seems to belittle their suffering. No matter how much I think of it I can never find the perfect thing to say. The only thing I can do in times like that is hold their hand, listen, and pray for them.

The only thing that is able to heal the deepest suffering is our Lord and God. It is incredible to see the joy that can flow back into a persons life after they had suffered so much. Laughter and cheer can return, and all can be “saved in His unfailing love.” It is comforting to know that our Savior has gone through suffering as we have. It’s a blessing because, who better to lead us through the dark valleys than someone who has gone through them before. Not only did Jesus go through them, He also rose up above them.
Time of Prayer
Jesus, thank You for Your sacrifice. Thank you for teaching us how to live and love. Thank you for helping us through all the troubles in our lives. I am grateful that you stand by us when we are suffering. I ask that You will be with all who are suffering now. Whether they are plagued by illnesses, death, depression, or grief. Be with them and help them find comfort, peace and joy. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn

Beneath the Cross of Jesus

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, and serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment