15.3.10

March 15, 2010

Opening Hymns:
For the Beauty of the Earth (http://nethymnal.org/htm/f/b/fbeautye.htm)
Calling the Prodigal (http://nethymnal.org/htm/c/a/callprod.htm)

Scripture Reading:

Luke 15:1-3 11b-32

Message
Forgive
This parable creates two characters, both of whom I can relate. I too have done things that I have regretted. Forgiveness, in those instances was so wonderful. It almost feels like having a fresh start. I have also felt like the other brother. When there are times that I have done everything that I could to be in the right, and I see someone who loused up being treated the same as I had been treated. In those moments it is easy to judge, like the faithful son had. It is so simple to say “that’s not fair” and to seek justice. However, would we be pulling for justice during the times when we sin? Would we stand up and say “that’s not fair; I should be severely punished for my actions.”

Instead of seeking justice one must forgive as they would wish to be forgiven. As we see in this story, if we are unable to forgive we will miss out on the joy that we could have shared in. The faithful son was missing out on the celebratory feast not because he wasn’t invited, but because he was bitter. We too can miss out if grudges are held and forgiveness is not given.


Time of Prayer

The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
God is Good 77 (B/B)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, and serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment