15.2.10

February 15, 2010

Opening Hymns
Seek Ye First
Blessed Be the Lord God Almighty

Scripture Reading:
Joel 2:1-2, 12-17

Message: Even Now
To me, it seems like the Scripture today is in part a description of what the sin in our lives brings us. The people of Judah had been sinning and had turned away from God. The prophet Joel was prophesying what would happen if they continued to sin, and encouraged them with the forgiveness they would receive if they turned back to God and repented. Sometimes in my life I feel I can relate all too well with the people of Judah. I feel myself falling away from God, and I start to turn back to my idea of “fun” or “right” or “justice.” It is at these points in my life that I can almost see the army of locusts coming up over the hill. However, God needn’t send locust. When I turn to anything other than God to uplift me I find very quickly that the very things that I am using as a support for myself are tearing me down instead. When work gets busy and overwhelming and I NEED a break I would often times spend hours on my computer checking facebook or watching shows online. The more time I would spend… the more behind and overwhelmed I felt. Also, when I sin I feel myself slipping from the presence of God. In the end, no matter what it is, if I sin it causes more despair than comfort. More pain than joy. There is hope however. There is hope for all of God’s children. No matter what you have done God is still there saying “Even now, return to me with all your heart.” God is “gracious and compassionate” He will forgive our sins “even now.”

Time of Prayer
*Respond: Lord hear our prayer

For the people in Haiti that they may find food, shelter, and comfort as the earthquakes damages are still present in their lives we pray to the Lord. *
For all who are mourning the loss of a loved one we pray to the Lord.*
For the sick, that they may be cared for, comforted, and blessed we pray to the Lord*
For the jobless that they might find work with the ability to support themselves and those they love we pray to the Lord.*
That all our sins may be forgiven, so that we may be drawn closer to You we pray to the Lord*

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
He is Exalted

"May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, and serve the Lord

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment