12.4.17

Make the World Beautiful


April 12, 2017
Opening Hymns:
I Sought the Lord: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh341.sht

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 49:1-7
49:1 Listen to me, O coastlands, pay attention, you peoples from far away! The LORD called me before I was born, while I was in my mother's womb he named me.

49:2 He made my mouth like a sharp sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me away.

49:3 And he said to me, "You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified."

49:4 But I said, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my cause is with the LORD, and my reward with my God."

49:5 And now the LORD says, who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, and that Israel might be gathered to him, for I am honored in the sight of the LORD, and my God has become my strength-

49:6 he says, "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

49:7 Thus says the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One, to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nations, the slave of rulers, "Kings shall see and stand up, princes, and they shall prostrate themselves, because of the LORD, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you."


Message:
It is hard to imagine working with all your might on something that never comes to fruition. This scripture reminds me that through Jesus, the world has forever been changed. However, how much of that change was he able to see? How much of a change do we make, and never see? Where can our motivation come from?
 
There are artists throughout history who were never recognized, during their lifetime. Georges Seurat comes to mind as one who painted amazing works of art, but was never fully recognized until after his death. His work, and life inspired the musical “Sunday in the Park with George” where we are given a sense of what he may have gone through during the 2 years he was painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. He would never know how much of an impact his art would make.
 
In this world, it is so easy to feel small. Some problems may seem overwhelming. Rainforests are being cut down, global warming is causing ice caps to melt at an alarming rate, people are devastated by war and starvation. How can we make a difference? How can we help change the world?

The Welsh saying “Do the little things” is what I cling to during times when I feel overwhelmed. While I may not be able to single handedly reverse global warming, I can help clean up garbage in fields in my hometown to prevent more waste from going into the rivers and oceans. I can cut down on my own energy use, and support organizations that use more environmentally friendly energy. I may not be able to solve world hunger, but I can volunteer at “Feed My Starving Children” or donate money to help support those in need. I can give money to organizations that support refugees and those touched by war.
 
When you feel overwhelmed by the challenges in this world, think about the little things that you can do that can make a difference. You might not see all the good that will come from your work. However, every life that you touch, and every good deed that you do makes this world a more beautiful place one step at a time.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for giving us Your son to teach us, lead us, love us, and save us. Let us share this love to the world through our volunteering, kindness, and gifts. Show us how we can help make this world more beautiful. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise:
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh103.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment