9.4.17

Greed or Giving


April 9, 2017

Opening Hymns:
Trust and Obey: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh467.sht


Scripture Reading:
Hebrews 13:1-6

13 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

“Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you.”[a]

So we say with confidence,

“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?”[b]

Message:
There are many pieces to today’s scripture reading. We are to love each other, serve one another, keep to our marriage promises, and avoid loving money. As I read through this scripture, I must admit that it is hard to avoid longing for more money. I am not alone, many of us from time to time wonder: “if only I could pay off the car” “if only I had more money for my hobbies”, or even “if only I won the lottery.”


The song “If I Were a Rich Man” comes to mind. Tevye is a poor man, and in this song, he contemplates what it would be like if he had riches. As often happens in my dreams of winning the lottery, he also imagines the good that would come of him being a rich man. He sings:

 

“If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack

To sit in the synagogue and pray.

And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.

And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.

That would be the sweetest thing of all.”

 

However, being wealthy would not necessarily make us better equipped to help serve those around us. Being kind to each person that we meet, volunteering our time, and getting involved in our community are things that we can do even if we haven’t won the lottery. This scripture helps remind us of the important things. Wealth does not solve all our problems, and our greed and lust can be hurtful and detrimental. But when we focus on the needs of others and treat each other with kindness we can share God’s promise “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.”


Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, guide us and help us to be kind. Let us serve our neighbor, and be answered prayers for those in need. Thank you for all the love that You’ve shown each of us in our lives, let us share that love with a those we meet. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
O How I Love Jesus: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh170.sht


May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment