5.4.17

Addiction


April 5, 2017

Opening Hymns:
All people that On Earth Do Dwell: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh075.sht


Scripture Reading:
Psalm 31:9-16
31:9 Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away from grief, my soul and body also.

31:10 For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away.

31:11 I am the scorn of all my adversaries, a horror to my neighbors, an object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me.

31:12 I have passed out of mind like one who is dead; I have become like a broken vessel.

31:13 For I hear the whispering of many-- terror all around!-- as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.

31:14 But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."

31:15 My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.

31:16 Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love


Message:
I have been blest well enough to never feel the level of despair that is described in today’s scripture. The thing that it most makes me think of are people who suffer from addiction. Sometimes people turn to drugs when the stress in their lives becomes too overwhelming. These stresses can become worse when new health problems arise, they have mores broken relationships from their addiction, or because they feel judged by the choices they made. There are programs that can help, but only if the person makes the decision to change.

During a marriage class, we were able to listen to some guest speakers. One man had been an alcoholic. His wife had stayed with him through everything. She had tried to convince him to change, but nothing she did made a difference. Even after having kids, he still would drink. The moment he decided to change was when a good friend of his, who was a volunteer fire fighter, died in a fire. He looked at his friend’s life, and saw how good of a person he was, and felt bad that he hadn’t died instead of his friend. That is the moment he decided he needed to live a better life. He joined Alcoholics Anonymous, and through the community and scripture based program he was able to recover.   

Our lives can be hard and challenging. Sometimes our own life decisions can make life much harder than it might otherwise be. However, God is with us throughout each and every challenge. He can be our rock that we trust in, if ever this scripture is describing our life. Whether we face, financial, health, or career struggles God is ever present. No one can take His presence away from us.  

 
Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you for being with us through every challenge. Bless us, and help us to make good decisions that make this world that you’ve created a better place. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
A Mighty Fortress is Our God: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh110.sht


May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God


 

No comments:

Post a Comment