3.4.14

Waiting for the Lord

April 3, 2014

Opening Hymns:
157 Jesus Shall Reign
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh157.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 130

130:1 Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD.

130:2 Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications!

130:3 If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, Lord, who could stand?

130:4 But there is forgiveness with you, so that you may be revered.

130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope;

130:6 my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning.

130:7 O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is great power to redeem.

130:8 It is he who will redeem Israel from all its iniquities.


Message:
In this busy world that we live in it can be hard to wait for the Lord in earnest as described by the psalmist. Our minds get distracted with worldly things. We concern ourselves with the next homework assignment, bills, work, and our hobbies. How do we take time to “hope in the Lord”?

I remember singing in a Concordia College Choir. Every year there was a Christmas concert. It was a huge concert with 5 choirs. We would sing a beautiful variety of Christian songs with scriptures read in between. The long hours of practicing were hard because it took time away from homework. However, during rehearsals and the concerts I was able to draw closer to God. The scripture above is one of the scriptures that would be read during the concerts. At that time I felt as though my soul was waiting for the Lord.

Christmas is not the only time to wait in anticipation. As we get closer and closer to Easter we can remember a new thing to wait for. Christ is going to come back. I know some people don’t like the ending to be given away, but I’ve read the book and (spoiler alert) God wins in the end. Love indeed does conquer all. That is something worth waiting for.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, draw us close to you. You are our hope, rock, and our salvation. Thank You for being with us now and forever. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
714 I Know Whom I have Believed
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh714.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment