14.4.14

A True Story

April 14, 2014
Opening Hymns:
397 I Need Thee Every Hour
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh397.sht

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 42:1-9

42:1 Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.

42:2 He will not cry or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street;

42:3 a bruised reed he will not break, and a dimly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice.

42:4 He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching.

42:5 Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who walk in it:

42:6 I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations,

42:7 to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.

42:8 I am the LORD, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols.

42:9 See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.


Message:
Sometimes when we read the bible it can seem like just a story. It can be hard to imagine the blind being able to see, and the dead being brought back to life. It almost makes me shiver when I realize that this has actually happened! Harder still to truly realize that Jesus died for us, so that we can be forgiven.

This story can seem like a fairy tale. Sometimes it seems too good to be true. The real world isn’t always full of happy endings. Too often the harshness of the world can drown out the beauty of it. But this story is even happier than any Disney movie I can think of. It is more beautiful than our imaginations could create. And it is more real than we could ever imagine. Christ came to this world just as Isaiah had predicted. He taught us, and saved us. We are forgiven, and that is not a fairytale.  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for Your loving forgiveness of our sins. Thank You for creating us to be a part of Your family. Let us rest our trust on You when we are overwhelmed with the hard things in this life. And help us remember Your story of truth, love, and kindness. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
378 Amazing Grace
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh378.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment