10.4.14

Confidence

April 10, 2014
Opening Hymns:
153 Thou Hidden Source of Calm Repose
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh153.sht

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 50:4-9a

50:4 The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught.

50:5 The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward.

50:6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting.

50:7 The Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame;

50:8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me.

50:9a It is the Lord GOD who helps me; who will declare me guilty?


Message:
Isaiah is speaking with such a beautiful and powerful confidence. He is not afraid of any adversary, nor any punishment or cruel thing that man can do. He is fully confident in the Lord, and God’s plan for him. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such confidence, and to speak with such an authority?
One thing I feel my life lacks from time to time is confidence. As I read the scripture for today I recognize that Isaiah is not showing all of this confidence in himself, but rather in God. He knows that God is going to use him in His plan. He is trusting that God will give him the words to say. Isaiah is not the only person God chooses to do His will. He has chosen each one of us. He trusts us and has confidence in us as well.
Most of us will be a leader in our lives. Whether it is from being a parent, leading at work, leading at church, or showing leadership in a skill we’ve acquired. Try right now to think of someone over the age of 30 who has never had to be a leader at some point in their lives. It’s hard, isn’t it? The question for each of us is, what kind of a leader are we going to be? Will we live our lives with confidence, inspiring others to follow? We can have confidence by trusting in the Lord, and remembering the Lord believes in us as well.  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, let me have the confidence on this day to serve and do Your will. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
453 More Love to Thee, O Christ
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh453.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment