19.3.14

Share God's Love


March 19, 2014
Scripture Reading:
2 Timothy 1:1-7
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Salutation

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
To Timothy, my beloved child:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Thanksgiving and Encouragement

I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.


Message:
I went to the Lenten service at my church this evening. As I was sitting waiting for the service to start I read the scripture above that had been chosen for the service. I had only gone to that church for 4 services all together, and had been asked to lead the songs with the pastor’s son. I was so nervous. Reading that last verse gave me confidence, and helped ease my mind. We each of us have gifts to share with others, and God did not want us to be afraid to use them. As I left the service I was so happy that I was able to be a part of it, and share my gift of singing.

 Are there gifts that you are holding back because of fear? Let this scripture give you comfort and confidence! The theme at my church for lent is “pass it on”. Think of how your gifts can show others the love of God. Perhaps being brave enough might encourage others. Who was there to pass on the love of God to you? How might you do the same for someone else?


Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you so much for the person who taught me that You love us. Help me to spread that love in what I say, and do. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
That's how it is with God's Love,
Once you've experienced it,
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on.

What a wondrous time is spring,
When all the tress are budding
The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
That's how it is with God's love,
Once you've experienced it.
You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend
This happiness that I've found;
You can depend on God
It matters not where you're bound,
I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on.

I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know
The Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on.


May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment