6.4.12

April 6, 2012


Opening Hymn:
Beneath the Cross of Jesus (Red Hymnal 297)

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Message: Jesus’ Last Words
We are in the Old Testament here… right? It fits so beautifully with Christ’s story that it is sometimes hard to imagine that it was written hundreds of years BEFORE Christ was even born. Christ would come into the world. He teaches us, heals the sick, feeds the hungry, and brings life to the dead. However, His most beautiful gift to the world was His sacrifice. On this Good Friday we recognize that sacrifice that He has made.

One of my favorite services that I can recall was on Good Friday. It was a 3 hour long service looking at the last words of Jesus. One of them preached on Jesus’ words on the cross “my God, my God why have you forsaken me?” The preacher looked at why Jesus said this. He suggested that at that moment God Himself took His presence from Jesus. Jesus was completely alone. At this moment Jesus was experiencing the separation that we should have had from God… But we will never need to feel that kind of separation. When I heard this message I was brought to tears. I was so touched that not only would Christ die for us on the cross, but He would also face separation from God for us. God’s love truly has no end!

As we go through this Good Friday, let us read the scripture of Jesus’ final words, and remember His love, and His beautiful sacrifice:
·         Father Forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34)
·         Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43)
·         Women, behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26-27)
·         I Thirst (John 19:28)
·         It is finished (John 19:30)
·         Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46)


Time of Prayer
Lord, thank You for giving us Your Son to die for us on the cross. Thank You for Your presence in our lives that we can always count on. Thank You for forgiveness and love. Thank You for calling us Your children. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?
Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross (Red Hymnal 301)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment