5.4.11

March 31, 2011

Opening Hymns:
Behold, What Manner of Love (red) 45
Come and Sing Praises (red) 58

Scripture Reading:

Psalm 23

Message:
A New Kind of Smoking Break
This is one of the first scriptures I memorized. I don’t remember what grade I was in (3rd or 6th maybe)… but I remember that we had a list of things to do during Sunday school. If we did everything on the list we got a prize. It consisted of the ten commandments, Psalm 23… and other things to memorize. This is one of my favorite Psalms and I am grateful that memorization was encouraged at such a young age. I know that I would think back to this Psalm whenever I would get afraid. Whether I was afraid of the dark or middle school I would remember this Psalm. To this day I remember it during the tough times at work, or when life seems overwhelming. This scripture was a comfort to me.

At work we had a meeting about having a positive attitude. At the meeting, I had brought up a day in which I couldn’t find a positive twist. It was a 15 hour day with no lunch break. Finally, in the end I admitted to taking a “smoke break” even though I don’t smoke. I just went outside and sat listening to calming music in my car. The speaker had said that people that smoke sometimes have a better mental health because they step out of their work environment and take a break. I think I want to start a new kind of “smoke break.” Whenever life gets overwhelming and stressful, each of us can step aside a grab a bible. It only has to take a few minutes and the scripture can give us a new focus. When we feel that we have lost control it is comforting to read about the One who is in control. If we think that we are alone in the things that we do, we can take comfort in remembering that God is with us every step of the way.

Time of Prayer
Lord, thank You for the scripture and the comfort it can bring. Please remind us to take “smoke breaks” when life seems like it is too much, so that we can read about You and remember the message that You teach. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
In the Lord Alone (red) 44

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, and serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment