21.4.11

April 14 2011


Opening Hymns:
This is My Father’s World 144 (red hymnal)
Take up Thy Cross 415 (red hymnal)

Scripture Reading:
Isaiah 50:4-9

Message:
Would that I could be as strong as Isaiah. This scripture is describing someone who has put all their trust, strength, hope, and purpose in the Lord. No one has ever beaten me, nor pulled on my beard (I don’t think anyone would if I actually had a beard either). I don’t recall ever being spit at. However, there are times when I allow the ill behavior of others to influence my life. I get annoyed and stressed out when I feel emotionally hurt or betrayed. There are times that I even think of how to repay them ill, rather than taking the opportunity to be a reflection of how Christ would act.

In this scripture we see a beautiful version of strength in the Lord painted for us. The scripture describes one who is unshaken by everything done around him. He changes his focus to God’s justice and God’s plan. He knows those who torment him have a limited amount of time. He also understands and trusts God’s justice. “It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me. Who will condemn me? They will all wear out like a garment; the moths will eat them up” (Isaiah 50:9). Each of us needs to remember never to return violence with violence, or anger with anger. If we allow that to happen violence and anger can become like a virus spreading from each individual to another. Instead let us show others a glimpse of kindness and forgiveness, so that we may start handing out the cure to the negativity that can too often plague this planet.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you for Your loving kindness to us. Let us show this kindness to others. Be with us during times when we feel betrayed or hurt by others. Teach us forgiveness, and keep us from returning ill behavior back to those who hurt us. Let others recognize and change their ways when they negatively affect others… Let each of us be an example of how to live. Amen

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing 57 (red hymnal)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment