20.2.18

Baptism


February 20, 2018
Opening Hymns:
When Morning Gilds the Skies (http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh185.sht)
Scripture Reading:
1 Peter 3:18-22
3:18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit,

3:19 in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison

3:20 who in former times did not obey, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water.

3:21 And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you--not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

3:22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers made subject to him.


Message:
Baptism can mean so many different things to different people. Some people believe that baptism cleanses us from the sin we are born with. They see it as essential if you want to go to heaven. Because of that, infants and babies are often baptized. In a way, this also shows the parent’s commitment to raise their child to be a son or daughter of Christ.

Others believe that baptism is a choice that the individual should make when they are ready. When they are baptized they are showing their faith and commitment to follow God. When I was 7 years old I came to the realization that I hadn’t been baptized yet, and made sure to get baptized as soon as I could. While my life as a Christian had started before I could talk, through my mom’s beautiful example, my full commitment came when I was 7.

As I read this scripture I can see something new about baptism. It is not only us committing ourselves or our children to follow God. It is a symbol of God cleansing us from our sins (be it is sin we are born with or sin we fall into). Peter compares baptism to the flood from Noah’s day. 8 people and 2 of each animal were saved from destruction. God promises never to flood the world again, however, through the waters of baptism He washes away our sin, letting the good remain.

I’ve for sure sinned since I was 7 after I made that commitment to God. Baptism doesn’t keep us from sinning. However, Peter gives us a beautiful image of the cleansing forgiveness of God. Our spirits are washed clean. Now, when I pray to God for forgiveness I will remember this scripture, and know that he is cleansing me. For Jesus promises to forgive us of all our sins, and we are once more clean.
Time of Prayer

Dear Father, thank you for sending Your Son down to forgive us of our sins. Cleanse us now, that we may draw closer to You. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
Nothing but the Blood (http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh362.sht)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace."
Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment