20.3.17

Shepherd


March 20, 2017

Opening Hymns:
Just as I Am, Without One Plea: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh357.sht


Scripture Reading:
Psalm 23
23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.

23:2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;

23:3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.

23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff-- they comfort me.

23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.


Message:
It seems to me that this is one of the best known psalms. It was one that I had to memorize for Sunday school. It is a nice psalm to have in the back of your head when you need its comforting words. In these verses, we are given an image of God’s presence in our lives. He is seen to be with us through the good and the bad. He is there to guide us throughout all our days, and to welcome us to His home at the end of our lives.

As I read these words I feel a great sense of comfort, as though I’m being held in loving arms. In the Old Testament, we read a lot about God’s punishment of those who are sinning and His divine justice. This psalm stands out in that it shows us God’s deep love for us, and how he is ever present in our lives.

Time of Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for always being there to watch over us. Let us know You to be our shepherd and our guide throughout all the joys and challenges of our lives. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
God of the Ages: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh698.sht


May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment