9.3.17

Forgiveness

March 9, 2017

Opening Hymns:
381 Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh381.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 32
 32:1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
 32:2 Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
 32:3 While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.
 32:4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah
 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD," and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah
 32:6 Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you; at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them.
 32:7 You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. Selah
 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
 32:9 Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you.
 32:10 Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the LORD.
 32:11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

Message:
Psalm 32 is a beautiful psalm of repentance and forgiveness. In this psalm the writer confesses his sins to the Lord, and receives forgiveness. We hear the joy they feel after they confess their sins, and feel God's forgiveness. The writer then pleads to all of us to pray to God, and allow for this life giving forgiveness.


One of the worst feelings I've ever had, is the knowing that I've done something wrong... and have yet to apologize and confess to it. We've all had moments in our childhood where we feel bad for our actions, and need to let our parents know what happened. But some of the most freeing moments are those moments after we confess. We realize that the world hasn't ended, and each worst case scenario in our minds did not come true. Hopefully the thing we did wrong is forgiven, and we are back in good graces with our friend or family.


The psalmist writing these words probably feels such joy after confessing and being forgiven. He wants others to feel that precious joy and love as well. Each of us has fallen short. Even though we try hard, we also can fall into different temptations of this world. However, our God is a loving God who wants us to come back to Him. He willingly accepts each of us with open arms. He blesses us with forgiveness, and asks each one of us to be honest to one another, and to forgive each other.


Time of Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us Your forgiveness. Please let us learn how to forgive as You have forgiven our sins.... and please help us to be honest and seek forgiveness when we have sinned against our neighbors. Teach us how we can share Your love and peace to all those we meet. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer
Closing Hymn
374 Sanding on the Promises of God http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh374.sht


May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment