27.2.16

Water for Your Spirit



February 26, 2016
Opening Hymns:
569 We’ve a Story to Tell to the Nations http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh569.sht

Scripture Reading:
John 4:5-42
4:5 So he came to a Samaritan city called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob had given to his son Joseph.

4:6 Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well. It was about noon.

4:7 A Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink."

4:8 (His disciples had gone to the city to buy food.)

4:9 The Samaritan woman said to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?" (Jews do not share things in common with Samaritans.)

4:10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water."


Message:
I’ve often thought about the comparison of water for your body and water for your spirit. Water is so necessary and life giving. When you drink enough water each day your body is good at reminding you when you need more. However, I’ve noticed that when I consistently don’t drink enough water, my body stops reminding me… it takes longer and longer before I feel thirsty.

The same goes for spiritual water. When I was in college I would pray every night, and I would always do my daily devotionals. I would go to the daily chapel during the weekdays at the college chapel. If ever I couldn’t make it to the chapel services, I would miss it. It is comforting to know that our hearts can remind us that we need to spend time with God. However, there also can be times where we’ve gone so long without praying, going to church, or reading scripture that we no longer thirst for it. We forget the spiritual part of us that longs for the comfort of God’s presence.



Time of Prayer
Lord, thank You for giving us water for our bodies, and water for our spirits. May we each continue to thirst for more and more time with You. Help us show others Your endless love so that we can share with them the comfort that only You can bring. Amen


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
582 Whom Shall I Send http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh582.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment