18.2.16

Remember the Past, Live in the Present



February 18, 2016
Opening Hymns:
117 Oh God, Our Help In Ages Past http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh117.sht

Scripture Reading:
Matthew 17:1-9
17:1 Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves.

17:2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white.

17:3 Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him.

17:4 Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."

17:5 While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!"

17:6 When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear.

17:7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Get up and do not be afraid."

17:8 And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.

17:9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, "Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."


Message:
     I don’t like change. There are times in my life when I just want to hold onto the moments forever. I find myself looking back fondly on the past more often than I look to what the future may hold. While I was in college I remember making multiple trips back to my old high school to visit teachers I liked, and to remember how much easier high school was. After college, I still like traveling to visit my old college campus. So many wonderful memories are held there. A lot of it was hard and stressful, but there are moments in time that I wish I could have frozen, and lived it over and over again.

     In today’s scripture Peter recognizes that he is witnessing something amazing, and he wants to freeze that moment in time. He offers to make three dwellings for Moses, Elija, and Jesus. However, as quick as the moment came, the moment was gone. Only the memory remained.

     While the past can give us so many wonderful lessons, it is also important to live in each moment ahead of us too. I’m sure that Peter would look back to that moment on the hilltop often. Especially in Jesus’ final days. But, it was important for them not to stay on the hilltop. They had to go forth, helping the poor and needy at Jesus’ side. They had so many more things to learn and teach. They had even more miraculous moments ahead of them too.

     I need to let the past be my past. Let its lessons fill me with the knowledge I need to give the future my very best. Those moments that I want to hold on to might not be as wonderful and amazing as moments that are yet to come… if only I give them a chance.  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for the moments in our lives that take our breath away. Thank You for Your loving spirit that is always with us. Let us learn and grow from our past, but let us live in the present more fully. Lead us down Your path each moment of our lives. Thank You for sending Your only Son down to earth to teach, heal, and forgive us. Thank You for His selfless gift of love. Let us live out our lives sharing that gift with others. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
530 Are Ye Able http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh530.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment