16.2.16

A Calming Presence Day and Night



February 16, 2016
Opening Hymns:
399 Take My Life and Let it Be http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh399.sht

Scripture Reading:
Psalm 121
121:1 I lift up my eyes to the hills-- from where will my help come?

121:2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.

121:3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.

121:4 He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

121:5 The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand.

121:6 The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.

121:7 The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.

121:8 The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore.


Message:
     This Psalm gives me great comfort. I am reminded of restless nights in my past, or times when I’d been upset or worried. God does grant comfort! He is ever present and ever with us. Most of us have had times when we are up in the middle of the night, with no one to call. But regardless of the time of day, God is always there to listen. We never have to worry about waking Him up.

     Sometimes we can try to substitute God’s calming presence with medical advances. In the recent past I’ve been turning to medication to help me go to sleep, and to help keep me sleeping. Truly it works really well, but I don’t have many reasons to have difficulty sleeping. My schedule is very consistent, and I have no medical troubles that would contribute to insomnia.

Perhaps the restlessness comes for a stressful job. Anxiety from work can linger throughout the night. However, the medication that helps me sleep does not help me resolve the anxiety or stress of the day. I wonder if waking up during the night and praying was helping me cope with the challenges each day brought. Though I was more tired, was I more whole?  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, let us not be afraid to call on you both day and night. Thank You for being there every second of the day. Help us remember that there is a love and wholeness that only You can give us. Thank You for all of Your gifts. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
138 The King of Love My Shepherd is http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh138.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment