3.4.10

April 3, 2010

Opening Hymns:
Oh How He Loves You and Me 238 (Red)
Open Our Eyes 215 (Red)

Scripture Reading:
John 19:29-37

Message “I am Thirsty”
What is Jesus thirsty for? He was most certainly physically thirsty. I cannot imagine how He had suffered before He was put on the cross. He even was sweating blood when He was praying in the garden prior to His arrest. He was parched. John may have put these final words of Jesus into His gospel because it showed how truly human Jesus was. Just as we thirst, so Jesus was thirsty as well. It also mentions that He said it so the scriptures would be fulfilled. The scripture it is referring to may be Psalm 69:21 “They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst.”

But, perhaps Jesus was thirsty for something else as well. Previously I had spoken about having spiritual and emotional thirst and hunger. In this instance, Jesus may not be craving a physical drink, but a spiritual one. He has been close to God throughout His entire life. But, He has become a sacrifice for our sins. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21a). Sin separates us from God. If Jesus, during His last moments had taken on our sin, He may, for the first time, know what it is like to be without the presence of God.

For me this adds more weight to an already powerful sacrifice. To imagine that Jesus would die for us on the cross to save us from our sins is powerful. I think Jesus went beyond that. He also suffered through a spiritual separation. I believe that is why He said “I am thirsty,” and also why He cried out “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34b). Jesus suffered separation from God so that we would not have to. He suffered through death that we might have eternal life. Praise be to God.

Time of Prayer
Lord, let us never forget Your gift of forgiveness. Thank You for the sacrifice of Your Son… Help us always to remember His life, death, and resurrection that we might become closer to You. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn

Eagle’s Wings 176 (B/B)

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, and serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment