18.5.17

Prayers


May 18, 2017

Opening Hymns:
In Christ There Is No East or West: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh548.sht


Scripture Reading:
Romans 8:22-27
8:22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now;

8:23 and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

8:24 For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen?

8:25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.

8:27 And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.


Message:

When I was a little girl, I remember playing outside at recess. Whenever dandelions were in season we used to try to blow all the dandelion seeds off in one go. If we were able to, it was said that we could get one wish. A wish was also to be made if you found an eyelash on your finger and were able to blow it off in one try. Somewhere in late elementary/early middle school I had made my wish the same each and every time: “May the Lord’s will be done.” And I’ve been making that wish ever since.



This simple prayer reminds me that whatever my wishes or dreams are, at the heart of everything I do I wish to serve my Savior. I may not know how I’ll be able to do that and I may not even know what I ought to be praying for. However, having God’s will be my focus helps me re-center my life. It helps me let go of my own selfish desires, and lets me instead focus on the needs and desires of others.
 

At my church when we pray for those in need, we often times add a prayer for those we have left out. When we pray for forgiveness of sins, we add a prayer for sins that we didn’t even know we’ve committed. Today’s scripture reminds us that the Spirit itself will “intercede with sighs too deep for words.” In each prayer that we pray if every anything is left out I pray that the Spirit does intercede, and that in all things our Lord’s will is done.

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, you have created and saved us all. Thank you for being with us at every step of our life. Thank you for providing words when we do not know the words to pray. Be with us in each day of our lives. Forgive us of our sins. All sins known and unknown. Be with all those who are in need whether their needs be known or unknown. Use us to spread Your love throughout the world. And in everything may Your will be done. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Closing Hymn
O Love How Deep: http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh267.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment