21.2.15

New Covenant

February 21, 2015

Opening Hymns:
138 The King of Love My Shepherd Is
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh138.sht

Scripture Reading:
Genesis 9:8-17

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: “I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10 and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. 11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
17 So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.”

Message:
Whenever I see a rainbow I think and remember the story of Noah. When I think of this covenant, I can’t help but think of the covenants that come after. God’s covenant with Abraham (Genesis 15). As well as the new covenant that Jesus has made with all of us during the last supper (Matthew 26:26-30).

Just as the rainbow is there to remind us of God’s promise not to flood the world, the wine and bread are there for us to remind us of Jesus’ love and sacrifice. Each time we partake of communion we can remember that God loves us, and has made a promise to forgive us of our transgressions.

Sometimes it can be hard to feel or recognize the forgiveness that the Lord gives us. All of us have sinned, and all of us need the forgiveness that the Lord offers. Re-reading the “Institution of the Lord’s Supper” in Matthew can give some reassurance. I’ve probably heard the “Lord’s Supper” recited more than any other scripture. Nearly every Sunday they recite the scripture as communion is being prepared. However, like so many things in life we can forget the meaning behind the words.

As we reflect on God’s covenant with Noah, let us read the new covenant that Jesus makes with each of us:
Matthew 26:26-30:
26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, the forgiveness that You have given to each of us is far more than we deserve. Yet, let us remember that we are loved by You. Help us to share the love You have given us with one another. Thank You for making a new covenant, that we may be forgiven. Amen.


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
624 Bread of the World
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh624.sht
May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment