29.5.14

Circles

May 29, 2014
Opening Hymns:
92 For the Beauty of the Earth
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh092.sht

Scripture Reading:
John 14: 15-21
15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you.

18 “I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”


Message:
I was listening to a Rabbi talking on Minnesota Public Radio. He was talking about how many people often see God as distant. He told us all to picture in our heads one giant circle with a lot of small circles underneath. Sometimes people can see God as our Father who is in Heaven looking down at us on earth. While that image still holds warmth and beauty to it, he challenged us to picture instead the same giant Circle with the smaller circle inside. In that image we are fully in God.

 
Personally I picture God’s relationship with us a little bit different… First, I can imagine God’s giant circle with the little circles intersecting at some points around the edge… we each have both Spirit and flesh, we have our sins and God’s forgiveness. I also imagine each of our circles containing small circles representing God, with God’s big circle above as well. He is the voice that comforts, and the voice that guides. He is there to listen to our questions and concerns… and He is even there when we don’t remember to call on him. 
 
How do you see your relationship with God? How does the way you view your relationship change the way you talk with God, and live out your life? In today’s scripture Jesus tells us that He is in the Father, we are in Jesus, and He is in us. It warms my heart when I imagine Jesus being within each of us. The thought urges me to do good in this world. As you reflect on today’s scripture let it help you feel ever closer to God.  

Time of Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for drawing us close to You, and for drawing close to us. Let us remember that You are always with us. Thank You for the precious gift of Your Son Jesus. Christ has risen! Christ has risen indeed. Halleluiah!


The Lord’s Prayer


Closing Hymn
374 Standing on the Promises
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh374.sht

May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you: May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

Go in peace, serve the Lord
Thanks be to God

No comments:

Post a Comment